Herbs & Things

Herbs & Things
Herbs & Things

My Book

My Book
My Book



Around the Homestead | What's Lurking behind Your Kitchen Utensils?

Listen, I don't want to write this anymore than you want to read this, but you must know...

It all began when my son had a severe asthma attack in the early part of December. He's only 4, and watching your baby lay in a hospital bed while trying to breath is no walk in the park. He struggles with seasonal allergies, which I believe had taken a huge hit to his asthma this fall and he had never fully recouped by winter. One afternoon, my husband and I decided to do a lot of cleaning in our basement. This stirred up a lot of dust and ash from years of being "un-lived in" and from the wood stove. This immediately set our little guy into an asthma attack (stupid mommy for not thinking ahead!) and sent us to the hospital for the very first time.
Click here to

From that night on, my goal was to eliminate everything in our household that could possibly set him into an asthma attack even more. What I've found has been horrifying in some cases, including this particular case last week.

Over the past few weeks I have washed walls with an all natural homemade mold and mildew remover, wiped window sills every morning with clorox wipes, and bleached the washing machine once a week to try and rid any possibility of mold being or growing in our home. It wasn't until this past week when I noticed something "questionable" on one of my spatula's that really had me thinking, "what's really lurking behind that rubber head?"

And then, I got curious...

...and this happened...



...and more mold. Even inside of the rubber head, which you can barely see in the below photo.

Every single spatula that I had like this had mold of some sort in it. Now, to give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt, the chunky stuff you see isn't mold, it's glue. But the black stuff? yeah, that's mold.....and lots of it.

I was one.angry.momma.

I had been using these spatula's for everything, they were my favorite from our local Home Goods Store. I loved these things, they were great for brownies, cake batter, eggs, icing, and even butt pattling. Oops, I didn't just say that, did I?

Needless to say, I threw away every single kitchen utensil last week that was not all one piece or had a firm seal around the separate pieces.

If nothing else, I hope that this post prompts you to pay more attention to the things you're using every day in your household. I become more and more aware every single day, but whether your child has allergies, asthma, or is perfectly healthy, mold is not something to play around with. Be aware of what's going into your food, including the chemicals you use to wash dishes with or to clean your tub with.

Want to know how to prevent mold from growing in your utensils?

Buy solid pieces of kitchenware. Nothing that can easily be pulled apart or which can expand over time. These spatulas were sealed tightly when I first bought them (a little over a year ago), but because we use them a few times a week, the rubber head had stretched a bit, which allowed water from washing them to get caught in every single nook and cranny (and not in a yummy english muffin kind of way). If there's enough room for mold to grow inside,  you better believe it's spreading to the outside

Inspect and clean kitchen utensils monthly. Sometimes, even wooden utensils can collect mold and hard water build up. Let them set in an all natural vinegar and super hot water treatment for 30 minutes, then wash clean and dry.

Dry all kitchen utensils immediately. Mold needs moisture to grow. Drying your kitchen utensils immediately after washing them will help keep mold spores at bay.

These are just a few of the things you can do to help prevent mold and mildew in your everyday kitchen utensils.

....and either way, at least you get to go shopping for new kitchen utensils this week ;)

No comments