All Natural Mold & Mildew Remover

This morning I woke up with a lot of motivation. A lot of motivation. Like, I have no clue where this motivation came from, but I was going to take advantage of it before it left me!

So I'm be-boppin' along to my songs on Pandora, the little one is drawing pictures, the dog is asleep on the sunny kitchen floor, and I am just standing back admiring my cleanliness....the kitchen that I just tackled. However, there was one last thing that needed to be moved -- a basket sitting in front of a large window. The window is actually a door that doesn't open, so it goes right to the bottom, to the floor. The basket was sitting up against it. I decided to move the basket into our bedroom, because it wasn't necessary. But just as I started moving it, I jumped back in disgust.

BLACK MOLD.
Click here to

All along the bottom of the window sill, even on the trim. I was appalled. What on earth -- why was this there!? Then I realized that the condensation from the window had built up behind the basket and the basket didn't allow the window to get any air. After all, it wasn't on the door right next to it, so this was the only logical conclusion.

Clorox was my original thought, but I didn't have any gloves and the eczema on my hands would not be thanking me later! I needed a quick, all natural solution to fix this issue. Then I remembered a friend of mine telling me that the person who cleans their church only cleans with hot water and white vinegar. Apparently white vinegar is an all natural sanitizer, and when left to air dry, it doesn't leave any streaks or fowl smell. I've been washing my wood floors with a water and vinegar solution for months, so this was going to be easy peasy for me.


Here's what you need:
1 large bowl
OR
1 empty spray bottle
White Vinegar
Hot water
2 Rags

I didn't have any empty spray bottles, so I just got a big bowl and a rag. I put in half part hot hot water, as hot as you can stand. And then put in half part white vinegar. You don't have to fill the entire bowl up. If you're really concerned, you can do a little more than half part vinegar, your house just might smell a little for the next couple of hours. I like more vinegar than less, but that's just me.

Once you have your solution, you can scrub scrub scrub scrub. I would suggest that you first wipe the area down with the solution and then rinse your rag out. Once the top layer of mold is off, you can just rinse in your bucket or bowl. When all of the mold is visibly gone, wash your rag and bowl out and then mix the same solution together again. Using a new rag, make sure you go over the entire area and surrounding area (I washed both doors, entirely) so that you can be sure to kill anything that may have been spreading.

You can wipe the wet areas down with a paper towel if you want, or you can let it air dry. I had the door pretty soaked, so I wiped mine down with paper towels, not so that it was completely dry, but enough that it wasn't dripping.

And, voila!! You're done :) I'm all about "all natural", and while I did not welcome the mold, I certainly welcomed the challenge!

Of course, this was just a small batch of mold, nothing major. If you have issues in your home, I cannot in my right mind tell you to just wash it down with vinegar. You may have an actual mold problem in your home. I know that this isn't a mold problem, it was simply brought on by trapped condensation on the window (it happens in everyone's homes if you don't catch it in time). Please consult your local mold and mildew removal company if you have an actual mold infestation. 

Holistic Health